"There were lots of books in my sister's country house. Mostly bestsellers to be read in the swimming pool, books of law, and plays. Rendell's book came from the first type, the swimming pool's one. I especially liked her short story "The Vinegar Mother". It is a child's story told by two girls. They watch each other and they hate each other. And they are unable to articulate what they want to say. Perhaps, in Rendell's mind, that would be unusual at their young age. So the girls become obsessed with a vinegar pot. A friend brings it into the house. It is a gift, a natural vinegar maker. That fungus has to be placed in the dark and doused with wine, daily, so they leave it in a corner of the living room. The girls become obsessed with it. They describe it as a viscera that survives detached from a body. It hovers in a liquid as dark and sticky as blood. There is real blood in the story, and a crime with victims, but I prefer to concentrate on that vinegar pot. It is a source of evil for the girls. They don't understand that it is a simple and innocent pot. When I went back to my sister's house after the first visit to the tunnels, I began to make a portrait of the pot. I painted it slightly off center, with dozens of lianas sprouting from its mouth. I planned to hang it in Medusa's house. In her living room."
Licencia de Creative Commons
so does the stone by Ángela Sánchez de Vera is licensed under a Creative Commons Reconocimiento-NoComercial-CompartirIgual 3.0 Unported License.