"I wondered at my new interest in such an old subject. I studied silent suicides some years ago. People who kill themselves over the years, quietly. First, I studied people who give up and let their bodies go by inertia, watching them from the outside. I portrayed them using plants. Then I studied people who were killed by their environment. People who were constantly subject to pressure, usually unnoticed. When violence is constant but subtle, it is difficult to define. I used plants to portray them too: bonsais, fruit growing inside a bottle. I tried to videotape this distended violence but failed. Speed was the problem. Our perception is too slow to notice a wide range of facts: the rotting of a building, the growth of a ilex. So we miss thousands of invisible crimes because they linger for years. But I abandoned that research years ago."


Licencia de Creative Commons
so does the stone by Ángela Sánchez de Vera is licensed under a Creative Commons Reconocimiento-NoComercial-CompartirIgual 3.0 Unported License.